Translate

31 July 2012

Disco Meets Classical Music (Sampler)

First of all, I'd like to inform everyone that in a matter of two days, I received two DMCA copyright claims (the first for the 'Cher Sings Bob Dylan' collection and the second for the 'Footloose' soundtrack). I had never before received anything like this, so I was quite worried by them, and I know of course that I was in the wrong for the posts. I re-uploaded the Cher album not long before receiving the 'Footloose' claim, and I ultimately decided to delete the 'Footloose' blog post and file.
This raises the question of exactly where to go from here. When I started, I told myself I'd only continue as long as I enjoyed posting stuff and as long as I felt I had something worthwhile to offer. I still feel I do, so for the time being, I will continue blogging (perhaps a little more cautiously, though).
I'd hate to be a nag, but I have only received a single comment on my music posts after over 1150 (anonymous) downloads. Of course, I don't do it for the praise but it'd be nice to feel some appreciation, especially since I now feel like I am taking greater risks with each post. Some thanks would go a long way toward giving me a stronger drive to continue.
Finally, I'm going to have to give a little thought to the Dylan series I had been working on. I was very excitedly putting together a Byrds album and a various artists compilation of Dylan covers, but now I'm not sure whether I will post them, seeing as my first complaint was over the Dylan covers by Cher. We'll see. Perhaps I will use a different file hosting for certain files.
***
***
Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. For today's post, I have a compilation of disco adaptations of classical instrumentals. The songs here range from the well-known, like Walter Murphy's US #1 hit "A Fifth of Beethoven," to the relatively obscure, like the Philarmonics' "Piano Concerto."
Two of the songs here were featured in the soundtrack of "Saturday Night Fever" (which you can find here).
The final two songs are from the first "Hooked On Classics" album, which was released in 1981 to much success, reaching #4 on the US charts. The arrangements - featuring rather generic disco beats - remind me of the "Stars on 45" medleys, and I'm not the biggest fans of the "Hooked On Classics" album, but I've included them for historical reasons and because they are nice curiosities.
The sound quality here ranges from clear CD audio to crackly Vinyl audio. The songs from Vinyl are from around the internet.
***
Here is the track listing:
1. A Fifth Of Beethoven (Walter Murphy)
- Based on "Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op 67" (Beethoven)
2. Magic Bird Of Fire (Salsoul Orchestra)
- Based on "Firebird Suite" (Stravinsky)
3. Night On Disco Mountain (David Shire)
- Based on "Night On Bald Mountain" (Mussorgsky)
4. Concierto De Aranjuez (Charo)
- Based on "Concierto De Aranjuez" (Joaquín Rodrigo)
5. Toccata And Funk In D Minor (Walter Murphy)
- Based on "Toccata & Fugue In D Minor" (J.S. Bach)
6. Classically Elise (Elise '77) (Dino Solera & The Munich Machine)
- Based on "Für Elise" (Beethoven)
7. The Blue Danube Hustle (Part 1) (Rice & Beans Orchestra)
- Based on "Blue Danube Waltz" (J. Strauss II)
8. Fanfare For The Common Man (Montana)
- Based on "Fanfare For The Common Man" (Copland)
9. Piano Concerto (The Philarmonics)
- Based on "Piano Concerto No. 1 In B Flat Minor Op 23" (Tchaikovsky)
10. Our Love Concerto (Rice & Beans Orchestra)
- Based on "Piano Concerto No. 1 In B Flat Minor Op 23" (Tchaikovsky)
11. Prince Igor (The Philarmonics)
- Based on "Prince Igor" (Borodin)
12. Afternoon Of A Faun (Walter Murphy)
- Based on "Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Faun" (Debussy)
13. 1812 Overture (The Philarmonics)
- Based on "1812 Overture" (Tchaikovsky)
14. Hooked On Classics (Part 1 & 2) (The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted By Louis Clark)
- Piano Concerto No. 1 In B Flat Minor Op 23 (Tchaikovsky)
- Flight Of The Bumblebee (Rimsky-Korsakov)
- Symphony No. 40 In G Minor (Mozart)
- Rhapsody In Blue (Gershwin)
- Karelia Suite Op 11 (Sibelius)
- Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op 67 (Beethoven)
- Toccata In D Minor (J.S. Bach)
- Serenade No. 13 In G Major - 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' (Mozart)
- Symphony No. 9 In D Minor Op 125 (Beethoven)
- William Tell Overture (Rossini)
- Le Nozze Di Figaro (Mozart)
- Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture (Tchaikovsky)
- Trumpet Voluntary (Clarke)
- Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)
- Piano Concerto In A minor Op 16 (Grieg)
- March Of The Toreadors (Bizet)
- 1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)
15. Hooked On Tchaikovsky (The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted By Louis Clark)
- Capriccio Italien (Tchaikovsky)
- Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky)
- Dance Of The Reed Flutes (Tchaikovsky)
- Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture (Tchaikovsky)
- Symphony No. 6 In B Minor Op 74 (Tchaikovsky)
- Trepak (Tchaikovsky)
- Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy (Tchaikovsky)
- March (Tchaikovsky)
- Chinese Dance (Tchaikovsky)
- Miniature Overture (Tchaikovsky)
- Piano Concerto No. 1 In B Flat Minor Op 23 (Tchaikovsky)
- Capriccio Italien (Tchaikovsky)
***
Download in ZIP format here.
***
Dino Solera's 1977 album "Classically" can be downloaded here. I did not upload it myself, and I do not know who did, so I unfortunately can't give credit where it's due.
The same story applies to the first "Hooked On Classics" album (here) and to Walter Murphy's 1976 album "A Fifth of Beethoven" (here).
I got the Philarmonics' album "The Masters In Philadelphia from the blog 70disconights a while back, but the DL link is no longer active.
***
And, as an added bonus, here is a video of Vincent Montana, Jr. conducting a strings rehearsal of "Magic Bird of Fire" in 1990. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment